"they left us something more precious than silver and gold..."

Sunday, May 2, 2010

super girl.

so ive been swimming alot lately. i was feeling kinda bored & lazy with my workouts so i signed myself up for a couple triathlons this summer. so ive been swimming. its interesting. and i kinda luv it
(except for the chlorine in the hair thing).
its like i might be having a day when i dont want to workout out but then i jump in that cool water and its just refreshing. im weightless, which is nice, but then there are so many factors that are involved...the other day as i was counting down my 35 laps (yes that is a mile, holla) i started thinking...what other sport is there where you:
1. can't listen to music while you are doing it
2. can't chat with your friend while you are doing it.
just me & my thoughts. and my mind totally wanders...
to a pretty wide range of topics...
- how i feel about my body.
- my family...alot about my girls.
- spirituality.
- what i look like while i am swimming.
- shoes at nordstroms.
- jaws.
- friendships.
- to who stole my minivan when i was in high school.
- the race im training for.
- my to do list.
- the dentist...name one person who likes going.
- south africa (im going in exactly one month)
- what am i going to cook for dinner
...okay you get the idea...
but the other day, i was thinking about why i luv swimming so much. and i pin pointed it down to the fact that simply, it reminds me of when i was little. i grew-up in a small town in southern indiana...and while my parents couldn't give us cell phones, handheld video games, ipads, or computers...they gave us something much more priceless...a summer pool pass...and countless childhood memories.
so i let myself remember...days upon days, hours upon hours of swimming at the local pool in sellersburg with my sisters. literally i can see it all...my blue & yellow swimsuit, the bright pool towels, my wet bob of hair plastered to my face, the concession stand, the swim meet flags, the green oak trees hovering around the pool from the outside...almost like it was yesterday.
so i share this picture that to me is so very priceless. every summer my parents would rent out the pool one night for our church ward summer pool party! it was a blast. well, sometime during the night...you never were quite sure when it would happen...my dad would sneak up onto the high dive with a swim cap, goggles & a towel wrapped around his neck...then he would hollar "super man!" catching everyone's attention and as kids, we would just laugh & laugh. well one summer, i kept bugging dad that this was my year to be his "super girl"...so he got me prepped...and sent me climbing up that ladder to the high dive. i still remember the thrill i felt as i yelled "super girl!" and made the big jump.

11 comments:

Rosanne said...

You are amazing! You go girl! I'm so impressed that you're training for some triathlons! I wish I was that motivated to work out. And once again, love your writing - reading about your fun memories and seeing your super girl photo! Thanks for sharing! Oh, and I do love to do to the dentist. I know, I'm a little strange. ;)

TeamWalbruch said...

Oh the days...Cute post Cam.

Paula-Adam said...

Cami, that's something that I see my little girl doing. How fun! and bytheway, you could get headphones that are waterproof for swimming. I just did a triathlon and loved it! The swimming part is probably the hardest for me..what kind of training are you doing? and which tri did you sign up for??? let me know, I need advice to train better for the swimming part

KESLER KREW...Cami said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
KESLER KREW...Cami said...

paula! obviously i need to get into the 21st century, i just googled waterproof headphones...im clueless! that is awesome! luved your tri pics as well!

Jaymie said...

that is SUCH a cute picture : ) Your adorable Cami - Your doing a triathalon?! Im very impressed!!!

Angie said...

I love this post. It makes me happy to think of for one, playful childhood days, and two, hours of being in the water. Your post gives me motivation to learn to be a better swimmer. But it also makes me feel validated for being addicted to surfing! I love being immersed in water with no distractions - just the thoughts in your head. How I miss it. I think you've given me an extra push to start swimming! Thanks supergirl.

Misty Kesler said...

I love swimming to! And the mind wandering thing is sooo true! It is my favorite work out as well. But not because I am doing a triathlon.... YOu are so brave!

coloradoeaston said...

Swimming is extremely addicting. For me it was in college, swimming almost 6 days a week. The pool was in the next building over making it so easy to go. Your post make me want to start swimming again. It's such a good workout and relaxing at the same time.

Shelli said...

Cami, you leave me in awe constantly. A triathalon? You rock! And that is THE cutest picture ever. I love how descriptively you write and how you can put into words what you are thinking while swimming. Makes me chuckle. How I wish you lived closer to me. I would love to be one of your project/challenge/adventure buddies!

Deb said...

That is one of the best stories I've heard in a while...and I loved hearing about all your thoughts while your swimming, especially jaws! I laughed out loud! Good job on training for triathlons....your awesome!!