"they left us something more precious than silver and gold..."

Saturday, November 14, 2009

"mini"


Growing up I remember my mom taking us to watch & cheer for my dad at his "mini" marathons...I absolutely luved it! We would "scout" the route & go to a couple different spots to cheer him on & I remember my mom with that BIG vhs camcorder on her shoulder recording it while all five of us tagged along for the ride! I always wished I could have run a "mini" (1/2) marathon with him, like my sister Amy did. In this picture he won the raffle after the race & received $100...he used it to buy a swing set for us. My dad use to "urge" (some might say force...) me & my sisters to run to stay in shape for sports & for health. While I strongly disliked it when I was younger (crying about it, fighting him on it)...he persisted and thus we became runners. As I've gotten older, it has become a major outlet and strength to me...it's helped me get back into shape after having my baby girls but it has come to mean more than that to me and I never feel better than after a nice run. I'm extremely grateful for a dad who "urged"...for those who don't know my dad, some might say he was a little "too" persistent & while most parents would get sick of trying to support their kids when they were so not-willing or those parents that preferred to spend their time at the country club or on cruises...my dad was always there, pushing me, teaching me, and loving me. And I'm sure he knew that one day I would be very grateful for it, and I am. I love that my girls see me running... they "pretend to go running like mommy" and I hope someday I can run some "mini's" with them!
This morning I just finished a half ("mini") marathon in the backcountry of Highlands Ranch...it was my six month goal after having Jillian. It was a trailrun, 30 degrees, very hilly, but FUN to be running with my friend Heather! While I am a very average runner (Savannah asked me last night "so are you gonna win or what???"), I luv the chance it gives me to think, evaluate, plan, reflect, rejuvenate...today I was thinking alot about jillian...my dad...and that hundred dollar bill. *cami

Heather just started running 4 months ago!
We had some great runs together this fall!

My little Jilly bean...where have the past SIX months gone...

My biggest fans...thanks Cam for watching the girls so much for me while I trained...wished you were on the trail with me!

10 comments:

Jacqui said...

hey stink wad!! i had no idea! congratulations and I bet you did win because anything less is just unacceptable!

Ming said...

It looks cold! Way to go!!

Scott & Tami said...

Way to go Cami!!! I'm totally jealous. I am running one next year....for sure...but the whole 30 degrees doesn't sound that fun....I'm totally impressed!!

Heather said...

we totally rocked it! You are so awesome, and I couldn't have done this without you. You are a great friend and motivater! I love you girl!

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
heidi said...

You go girl!!! You have been such an inspiration and literally my body has changed since I started jogging! I always think no wonder Cami loves this? You ALWAYS feel so good after. My first 5K is coming up in December, I know its little but I'm way stoked! Congrats girl on all those hills! Seriously insane!

Nachelle said...

AWESOME! So impressed, it was cold out there! I love marathons/halves (not so much running them) but the cheering and the accomplishments...great job!

Rosanne said...

Good for you! Wow..just 6 months after giving birth! You go girl! Love the story about your dad too. ;)

Spencer, Erin, Parker and Ben said...

Good Job Cam!!

Lindsay Clegg Sundloff said...

Cam, I think you guys have way too much fun. I have called you twice this week, what's up? Call me!